Force is any influence that produces a change in the speed, direction or shape of an object.
The standard derived unit of force in the International System of Units (SI) is the newton (N). Common units of force currently in use include kilonewton, decanewton, millinewton, dyne, kip, gram-force, kilogram-force, ounce-force, pound-force, poundal and kilopond.
Common force conversions
- 1 newton = 105 dyne = 0.22481 pound-force
- 1 dyne = 10-5 newtons = 1.0197 × 10-6 kilopond
- 1 poundal = 0.138255 newtons = 13,825 dyne
- 1 pound-force = 4.448222 newtons = 32.174 poundal
- 1 kilogram-force = 1 kilopond
- 1 kilogram-force = 9.80665 newtons