Speed is the distance traveled by an object during a unit of time.
Speed = Distance / Time
The standard derived unit of speed in the International System of Units (SI) is meter per second (m×s-1 or m/s). Other units of speed commonly used around the world are kilometer per hour, mile per hour, mile per second, foot per hour, foot per second, inch per second and knot.
Common speed conversions
- 1 meter per second = 3.6 kilometers per hour = 2.236936 miles per hour
- 1 mile per hour = 0.44704 meters per second = 1.609344 kilometers per hour
- 1 kilometer per hour = 0.2777 meters per second = 0.62137 miles per hour
- 1 foot per second = 0.3048 meters per second = 1.09728 kilometers per hour
- 1 inch per second = 0.0254 meters per second = 0.083 feet per second
- 1 knot = 1.852 kilometers per hour = 1.150779 miles per hour