Gallon (US dry) conversions
The gallon (US dry) conversion selector above selects the volume measurement unit to convert to starting from gallons (US dry) (gal). To make a conversion starting from a unit of volume other than gallon (US dry), simply click on the "Reset" button.
About gallon (US dry)
The gallon (US dry), or US dry gallon, is a unit of volume in the US customary system of units equal to 4.40488377086 × 10-3 cubic meters (1 US dry gal = 4.40488377086 × 10-3 m3), the derived unit of volume in the International System of Units (SI).
The US dry gallon is also equal to 4,404.88377086 cubic centimeters (cm3), or 4.40488377086 cubic decimeters (dm3) or 4.40488377086 × 10-6 cubic decameters (dam3) (units of volume in the SI), or 4,404.88377086 milliliters (mL), or 44.0488377086 deciliters (dL), or 4.40488377086 liters (L) or 0.440488377086 decaliters (daL), which are units of volume in the metric system.
Over time, various gallons and variations on the gallon have been recorded. Examples of gallons include:
- The old UK wine gallon, equal to 224 cubic inches or about 3.6707 liters
- The ancient Rumford quart, equal to 264.8 cubic inches or about 4.3393 liters
- The corn gallon, equal to 272 cubic inches or 4.4573 liters
- The old corn gallon, equal to 271 cubic inches or 4.4409 liters
- The original Imperial gallon, equal to 277.274 cubic inches or 4.5435 liters
- The ale gallon, equal to 282 cubic inches or about 4.62 liters
- The Queen Anne's gallon, equal to 231 cubic inches or about 3.79 liters
Currently there are three different gallon units in use, specifically:
- The Imperial gallon or gallon (UK), equal to 277.4194 cubic inches or 4.54609 liters
- The US liquid gallon or gallon (US liquid), equal to 231 cubic inches or 3.785411784 liters
- The US dry gallon or gallon (US dry), equal to 268.8025 cubic inches or 4.40488377086 liters
Plural: gallons (US dry)
Also known as: gallon (US dry) (plural: gallons (US dry))